New Years in Madrid
>> Friday, January 13, 2012 –
Life in Madrid
For New Years Eve, we headed down to our church's locale to take advantage of it's perfect location to celebrate! It overlooks Puerta del Sol, which is Spain's version of Times Square.
This is around 10.30pm. By the time we got to the stroke of midnight, the entire plaza was totally full with all the side streets jammed with people. I didn't take any photos of the inside of our party place, but we had a big potluck and a dance floor set up to welcome in the new year.
At midnight, the tradition is that you are supposed to eat one grape with every stroke/ring of the clock that is in Puerta del Sol. It's actually pretty difficult to do it, when most grapes you find here are seeded! If you choke on one of the grapes, you supposedly have bad luck that month of the year. I can successfully say that I downed mine perfectly!
Our friends Ryan & Jenee from Nebraska.
New Years 2012 in Madrid's Puerta del Sol from kate on Vimeo.


