Powered by Blogger.

American BBQ!

Do you remember the Paella cooking class I posted about last month?  Well, I guess this cooking class is a monthly event, and today (Tuesday), we had a cooking class on having an American BBQ!  So this morning, I drove out to the suburbs to hang out with more new friends.  The family that hosted it works with NATO, and have access to an American grocery store at one of the bases in Spain.  Molly, our hostess, was able to pick up some pork shoulder and make pulled pork - not something you can easily create here!  We also had potato salad, cucumber salad, cornbread, lemonade and sweet tea!  We sat outside, by the pool, and it was such a great way to spend my afternoon.  The women are from all over the world, and we always seem to have fabulous conversations.

Now, it may not seem like a big deal that we had pulled pork, but let me tell you, having some great home cooked food, from the states, with other americans and even international friends, is pretty fantastic.  The woman who hosted it is even from Kansas, so we get to share our midwest roots.  She's pretty fantastic!  I also met a woman from Minnesota, who grew up in Crystal Lake.  It's a small world, folks!
Our dessert was even made by an Aussie!  Meringue with fresh fruit and cream... tasty :)
Also, if you think of it, could you pray for me?  A few weeks ago, I had a terrible cold, I thought I had strep throat, I felt lethargic and awful, and I just chalked it up to the stress of moving and my body finally having time to get sick as we started to settle in.  I went to the doctor just to check, and I found out earlier this week that I have mono.  Bummer.  I can't believe that I successfully made it through our last 2 weeks of traveling, but I can definitely see how much more exhausted I was during that time than I have been in the past.  This week, I'm really feeling it, and I've been sleeping a lot.  At least I'm feeling MUCH better than I was a couple of weeks ago, but hopefully this won't last too long!

Amber  – (June 9, 2010 at 9:25 PM)  

Yum! That dessert looks delicious. Keep posting and I hope you get to feeling better soon!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP