Paella
>> Friday, April 30, 2010 –
Food + Wine,
Life in Madrid
It's a quintessential Spanish dish - Paella. The dish originated around Valencia (where I took the picture in the header), a fabulous city on the Mediterranean that we visited last year. I know I shouldn't use Wikipedia so much, but I like this quote:
"Many non-Spaniards view paella as Spain's national dish, but most Spaniards consider it to be a regional Valencian dish. Valencians, in turn, regard paella as one of their identifying symbols."
Yesterday I was invited to go to a "cooking class" to learn how to make paella. I don't know about you, but I don't picture too many cooking classes in someone's backyard, sitting near a pool, enjoying amazing weather, and mostly chatting with new friends to be too tough of a cooking class. I met a lot of really fantastic women (there were almost 20 of us!) and Richard, our chef, did a fabulous job.
Enjoy!
Richard was kind enough to share his recipe - I'm not sure when I'll be attempting it, so let me know if you try to make it!!
Paella Ciego (Blind Paella) For 15 people!
1 cup onions finely chopped
1 clove garlic finely cut
1 red pepper cut into small cubes
1 cup green beans
1 cup small peas
1 spicy chorizo cut into small cubes
I package of mushrooms (remove stalks and cut stalks into small pieces)
Juice from a lemon/or 2 limes
1 package of Paella spices (4-5 sachets)
1-2 small packages of tomato frito
500 grams of Langostino Crudo (fresh prawns)
6 Mussels
Lots of olive oil
5 cups of rice
6 stock cubes
Stock (always use 2 parts stock to 1 part rice):
- Peel prawns
- Wash/clean shells
- Fry shells in olive oil with clove garlic and 4 bay leaves until red (2 mins)
- Add 11 cups of water
- Add 5-6 stock cubes
- Boil for 60 mins
- Strain out shells and keep the stock
(A good stock is one of the most important means to a good paella)
Making the Paella (in a large levelled paella pan)
- Add plenty of olive oil
- Fry onions and garlic 2-3 mins
- Add chicken and brown well on both sides
- As chicken is browning…
- Add red pepper
- Add mushrooms and cut up stalks
- Add beans
- When chicken is well browned and vegetables are cooked move to the edge
- Put rice in the middle
- Pour on lemon/lime juice
- Pour on tomato frito
- Add paella spices (mainly for colouring)
- Mix together (the lemon/lime juice stops rice sticking)
- Mix with paella pan contents and allow rice to be well coated in oil
- Spread out evenly in the pan
- Add stock (note time, paella needs 20 mins from this point to cook!)
- Sprinkle peas on top
- Lay out prawns on top
- Lay out mussels on top
- Sprinkle chorizo on top
- Keep heat well up (some burning of the rice is desired)
- When stock is absorbed (after 20 mins) turn off heat
- Let it sit for 10 mins then enjoy
(On a side note, I attempted to load these images as one large, long collage, but I could never get it to be the full width of the post. Does anyone know why this would happen? So, I ended up loading it in 4 chunks, which I don't like the look of as much, but everything would be full size then, though it didn't have the spacing I wanted. Any suggestions?)




looks yummy! even though I don't even like a lot of those ingredients. Must mean the photographer did a wonderful job making it look THAT good :)